Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Why Yogi Ojas?

when i graduated from my teacher training under the tutelage of my dear teacher Yogi Vishvketu, he lovingly gave me the spiritual name "Ojas".

wikipedia describes Ojas as "primal vigor" or "the essential energy of the body which can be equated with the "fluid of life". it also continues on by saying that "Ojas is both the gateway and the container. It is the gateway between consciousness and physiology, between spiritual and material. As the subtlest physical, it is a container. It contains the flow of cosmic energy (Prana) from Atman through the individual."

that's a whole lot to absorb, right there...

now, spiritual names are funny things... they generally represent things that one must or might meditate on. They often represent concepts or traits that are significant for the bearer in their current life...

so, what does that mean for me???

well, i suppose i'm still working that through ;-)

there are a great many things that this might mean... and i think especially with the major upcoming changes in my life (as i am preparing to leave my office work and move towards different kinds of full time teaching), i will be exploring the many meanings that this name may hold for me through my own yoga practice, which does include my teaching and all of my interactions with my students...

essentially, this blog will be a living document of my exploration of my yogic path both through general observation and through my day to day life... let's hope i remain as committed to this journal as i am to my practice.

i suppose we'll see. :-)

No comments: